Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Our 11y/old Chi "Puppy passed away Christmas Day. We would

Customer Question
This is KRISTI Stockton. Our...
This is KRISTI Stockton. Our 11y/old Chi "Puppy passed away Christmas Day. We would like to find another small, non shedding dog to be a companion dog ASAP to make our family more complete. A rescue dog would be considered.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
1/7/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi Kristi,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

If a rescue dog would be a consideration for you, then you may want to consider pet finder. You put in the locality, breed age, sex etc of the dog you would consider and it will give you a list of the dogs available for adoption. Usually these dogs have been evaluated so you know if they are food aggressive, house trained, get along with children, cats, etc before even going to see them. Many different rescues and animal societies use them to list available pets. Here is their website.

https://www.petfinder.com/

The other option you have is to check your local human society and animal control. Often owners surrender their dog and puppies or they are picked up due to running loose and the owners don't come forward to claim them. In the next few months there will be a lot of puppies that are going to be listed for adoption. Every christmas, well meaning relative, even parents get children a puppy and often it is not a good fit or idea and the puppies end up at the animal control or shelter. I would urge you to check there first as those dogs are usually euthanized first.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You did not recommend a breed or mix. I am somewhat disabled physically and emotionally so I attach easily to whatever dog I am close to. Yorkee vs. Maltipoo. Poodle vs. Scottie ect.

I'm sorry. I didn't see anywhere in the question where you wanted a breed recommendation. All dogs shed to some degree however, dogs with a single coat tend not to shed as much. There are hairless breeds which are generally the american hairless terrier or the chinese crested. You can read about these here:

https://featuredcreature.com/five-hairless-dog-breeds-mans-best-naked-friends/

Then there are the breeds that do not shed a lot. The bichon Frise is a good choice as it is hypoallergenic, low shedding with few genetic diseases that need to be factored in. the poodle and yorkie are both considered hypoallergenic as well and shed little though grooming is a consideration with these breeds. Many Yorkshire terriers also tend to have health issues such as liver issues which means you do need to ensure health testing has been done on them.

Brussels Griffont don't shed year round but tend to blow their coat (shed heavily) twice a year which is a good choice as well. These are the smaller dogs. You do need to watch out when getting a mixed breed. A mix of two hypoallergenic breed should be ok but you need to watch because if a shedding breed mates with a non shedding breed, there is no way to tell which parent they will take after.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?