Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

MY 10 YR OLD COCKAPOO WAS HVING TROUBLE BREATHING..TOOK M TO

Customer Question

Customer: MY 10 YR OLD COCKAPOO WAS HVING TROUBLE BREATHING..TOOK HIM TO THE VET THE XRAY SHOWED ENLARGED HEART AND FLUID..THEY SENT ME HOMW WITH LASIC..HE DIED IN MY BED 6 HRS LATER..I AM INSANE WITH GRIEF...WHAT HAPPENED.DR SAID COULD HAVE THROWN A CLOT? is this possible
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my cockapoo was a healthy 10 yr old.slowing down little, having trouble for 2 days catching his breath..rapid breathing went to vet and X-ray showed enlarge heart and fluid...they were not so concerned but told me the next day to see cardiologist...never made it. he died in my bed and there was a clear fluid with brown tinge that came out...why did he die?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I WILL WRITE BACK LATER THAN..THANKS
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

My condolences for your loss. While "throwing a clot" is always a consideration because cardiovascular diseases are often thromboembolic (clot producing), the brown-tinged fluid you saw identifies congestive heart failure (CHF) in my patient. Hindsight is 20-20 but his fulminant CHF indicated that he would have been better treated in the hospital with some combination of topical nitroglycerine, intravenous furosemide, an ACE inhibitor such as enalapril, and the heart drug pimobendan. My patient is only dismissed from the hospital once stabilized and when repeat X-rays reveal significant diminishing or absence of lung congestion. In most cases, this entails a 24-48 hour stay.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.