Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

17 year old dog groans and yips all the time. Is it because

Customer Question

Customer: 17 year old dog groans and yips all the time. Is it because she has liver disease and too much ammonia is in the blood? ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She has an enlarged liver. No discomfort when vet feels her body. She is at rest when she moans & yips. I am concerned if she is in pain.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Since dogs can put a brave face on when a vet is palpating them, do you think she is sore when you feel her?

What treatments is she on?

Does she ever seem confused, disoriented, or press her head into the wall?