Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Dog continually rubs s lower spine against hard objects,

Customer Question
Customer: dog continually rubs his...
Customer: dog continually rubs his lower spine against hard objects, i.e. chairs etc.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: that's it. it is increasing almost full time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
1/5/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thanks for your question. Can you give me more information about this situation?

1) How old is your dog?

2) How long has this been going on?

3) What state do you live in?

4) What flea/tick prevention are you using and how often do you apply it? Do you use it year round?

5) Do you ever see him rubbing his muzzle, scratching his ears or licking his feet?

6) Any other pets in the household?

This additional info will help me to give you the most concise answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
rubs his muzzle after eating. flea collar and pills. also have another cockapoo 5 years old. was always chewing his
paws but has now stopped and rubs lower spine constantly

Can you be more specific with what type of flea collar and pills you're using? How often do you place the collar? How often to you administer the pills? Do you do this year round?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
has been rubbing back for a about 1-2 years but now constantly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
conformis pills but stopped 6 month ago -don't know what type of collar
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let's get going here
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my concern is that he may have an a spine problem that gets increasingly worse that cripples him
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been on here for an hour. The flea guetions seems unrelated
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Send me an email

I'm going to opt out and allow another professional to assist you.

Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Your previous expert chose to stop working with you for some reason so I stepped in. .

In many cases, dogs will rub an area that hurts up against something much like we keep pressing our tongue against a sore tooth, so if there was a issue with a disc in that area, there is a chance the dog might exhibit that behavior. I'm thinking that it is likely something a little different but let me give you the information on disc issues since the previous expert mentioned this. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

However, a dog will often rub against object to scratch the area that can't be reached in other ways. That particular area is one which is hard for a dog to scratch. So your dog may have an issue in that are such as a skin dermatitis. Skin dermatitis is often secondary to an underlying allergy condition and are usually a staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition though it does not cure the allergy. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet.

Until the allergen is found and eliminated from the dog's diet or environment, the dog will continue to be itchy leading to scratching and skin issues. Benadryl can be given for allergies as well at a dosage of up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. We usually start around 1mg per pound every 8 hours. Many dog have an allergic reaction to fleas and fleas like that area of the lower spine as it is hard for a dog to get to. So your dog needs to be on more than just a flea collar year round. Most flea collars are not effective.

Your first step will be getting your dogs on flea preventative again to get the fleas off of your dogs. If I read you post, you stopped that about 6 months ago. If that is not an option, washing your dog in dawn dishwashing liquid, leaving the lather on for 15 minutes before rinsing will kill the fleas. The second step will be ridding the environment of them.

There are quite a few house sprays available to control fleas in the house. I've used Flea Stop but any that include a growth inhibitor should do the job pretty well. Cutting a piece from a flea collar and adding it to your vacuum bag will kill any fleas that you vacuum up and prevent them from escaping back into the house. Vacuum every day for at least a month to get all the fleas and eggs out of the carpets.

You can also treat the yard if you wish with food grade Diatomaceous earth, which helps kill them in the yard without poisons. This can also be used in carpets as well. You can read more about that here.

http://www.petloveshack.com/fleacontrol.html

Fleas do not like a wet environment so frequent watering of the lawn can also make it inhospitable to fleas as well.

Here is a site that goes over itching in dogs.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/pruritus-itchiness-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
TAKING CURLEY TO VET ON 1-13. WILL LET YOU KNOW.B DOWNS

Please do let me know. I would appreciate it.

Just a quick followup to find out what the vet stated and to find out if you did find my response helpful or not.