Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My male 3 year old English staffy was kicked in the head

Customer Question

My male 3 year old English staffy was kicked in the head this afternoon by a horses back legs. No bleeding or viaablw sweeling. He is able to stand and recognize me well. He has hard time keeping his eyes open. Legs twitch a little he is sleeping and I am placing a cool towel on his head and eyes. He seems to tolerate however not for long. What else I could do to eliviate his pain futher with home treatment?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now its good that Flake has no external head trauma but it is important to know that that is minor in these cases. The problem with head injuries from horse kicks is that it can cause brain swelling and brain bleeding. These won't be addressed by any external treatment and is a real worry is he is showing signs of a concussion as you have reported. In this situation, since we cannot see the brain and cannot predict if it will swell more (it can do so leading to seizures, coma, and death just as it can for people), we'd really need to think about having him seen by the local vet for injectable steroid treatment. This is our mainstay of reducing brain swelling and its effects. As well, steroids also is a very good anti-inflammatory for the brain and the rest of the body, so it would tackle pain for Flake too. And I would note that it is the best option here, especially as there are no dog safe OTC pain medications on the market (and even though we use aspirin on occasion, its blood thinning properties could be a real disaster for Flake if he has any brain bleeding). So,in this case, we unfortunately haven't any safe options for pain at home. And if he is mentally depressed and appearing sleepy, brain swelling is much more a worry here and something we'd be best to settle before it can cause any more severe signs for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )