Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Our dog has become very lethargic and stopped eating. This

Customer Question

Our dog has become very lethargic and stopped eating. This has been about a week now. I called the vet last week & they said to keep an eye on it. She is 9 years old and normally very healthy. We are very concerned.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry for how Maddie is feeling. Absolutely, agree with your gut feeling. A week is far too long to be lethargic and off food. This is not a simple dietary indiscretion causing stomach upset. Unfortunately, we don't know if this is just stomach related, or any number of other health ailments that could be impacting the body. I definitely vote for a vet visit today, with any vet. Basic testing should include a basic blood and urine test. Also, I would suspect the vet will start some therapies to help the stomach, in case there is any nausea contributing to the problem. Also, to help stomach upset, you can give a half tablet of a over the counter 10mg regular strength Pepcid A.C. antacid.

I hope Maddie gets well soon. The basic testing will help to quickly rule-out if there is any organ problems, and the CBC (complete blood count) will help to check for any changes in the blood count or if the white blood cells are increased to suggest infection.

Good Luck

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maddie. How is everything going?