Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Two normal stool in the morning and then loose stool later

Customer Question

Two normal stool in the morning and then loose stool later for a week. Loose stool turned to diarrhea three times today. Lab test and/or pepto bismol recommended?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Victor,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Victor

And season's greetings to my Russian friend, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

If Mimi is otherwise fairly happy and bright then it may be worth trying some common sense home remedies before moving on to lab tests or other diagnostics from your local vet, however if it then becomes clear that this is going to be a chronic condition then that may be your next best step ...

That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise quite bright and happy, where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. Yes I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. As you know some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. a couple of teaspoons twice a day should be fine for a smaller dog like yours ...

But of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your local vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again victor,

I am just checking back in to see how Mimi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her diarrhoea ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.