Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Lookin info... Our 11 yr old female black lab just walked

Customer Question

Lookin for some info... Our 11 yr old female black lab just walked out back door to potty, when she walked back in she was trembling, head tilted to right, and back legs dragging/ walking sideways... Seizure maybe?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Given the dogs age seizure activity should not be ruled out but I would more suspect vestibular disease. This is when the inner ear causes the dog to be off balance and dizzy, much like human vertigo.

Of course vestibular disease and strokes can also show similar symptoms , however a stroke does not affect dogs to the same degree as it does humans and the dog usually recovers in a few weeks

Vestibular can happen if the dog has an inner ear problem such as infection or it can happen to dogs that age and is idiopathic. Generally it goes away after a few weeks on its own but sometimes the dog is left with a head tilt.

It would be a good idea to have your vet take a look into the ear and make sure there is no infection as the cause.

I am going to direct you a site on vestibular disease for further information. If you google you tube videos of dogs that are going through this you will see many and the degree to how a dog is affected varies.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/vestibular-disease-in-dogs

Seizures are certainly a possibility as I said given the dogs age , but you would expect the dog to recover once the seizure is over.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?
Sally G.