Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has been pacing, whining, acting like he's trying to

Customer Question
cough something up. He has...
My dog has been pacing, whining, acting like he's trying to cough something up. He has thrown up twice and it had a small amount of food but mostly mucousy. He seems to be in pain. Any ideas as to what could be going on?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
1/1/2016
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 1 year ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

hello and thank you for using this site to help you/ My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

What breed of dog do you have?

Can you tell me please if the dog may have eaten anything it was not used to either in human food or dog food/treats?

Does he ear any non food items such as rawhides, bones, toys, etc?

when did he last eat food for you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is a red heeled mix. The only thing he has eaten is his dog food. We don't give him any bones or rawhides. We don't have dog toys either. He did get in the trash this morning though but I don't know what he ate out of it. There were no bones in the trash.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
heeler
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He weighs approximately 55 lbs

Thank you for that information. If he got into trash he could have eaten anything. It could have caused mild stomach upset, however if there were anything like onions or garlic in the garbage then that can be toxic. Spoiled foods can also cause garbage toxicosis.

What I would dog is take all of the dogs vital signs to determine if it is an emergency. I will direct you to a link to take you step by step.

If he seems okay, meaning the gum color and refill time is good, there is no fever, etc. then I would not give any food for 24 hours then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice.

For tonight you can try giving some pepcid ac and see if that will calm the stomach a bit. I will direct you to a site with dosing and information .

\

Please hold a minute while I find those links for you

Pepcid AC dosing http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Taking the vital signs http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/nursing-care-for-sick-dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs-heart-rate-breathing-rate-and-temperature

I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help. I ended up taking him to the ER vet clinic. His tonsils were very swollen and inflammed. The vet said he has tonsillitis and received an antibiotic.

aw, I am sorry to hear that, poor little fella. I am happy to hear he is on the mend.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant