Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Our 1/2 year old cockapoo growls and snaps at my husband

Customer Question

Our 1/2 year old cockapoo growls and snaps at my husband when he's petting him. Our dog is currently wearing a soft cone because he's been excessively licking his front legs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Does this happen all the time or is it only since you have put the cone on?

How long have you had the dog and where did you get it from?

It is a six month old dog?

When did the dog start licking its legs and have you been to a vet for this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that our dog did go to the vet this week to get his front underside and paws checked- we are applying medinci in those areas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've had him since he was 12 weeks. He's 1 1/2. The cone is on so he won't lick and yes he growls without the cone
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

thank you then it was a lick granuloma or just a bacterial infection, something that medicine will cure. But did they diagnose the dog with allergies and that is why there is excessive licking of the leg?

Can you also answer the other questions above that I sent you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
our dog has been on food allergy diet and we were getting him off - our vet said to put him back on his hypo diet and start trying cooked proteins versus bringing in a new food.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do think so of his growling is related to what's going on with his skin. However he has a tendency to only growl at my husband and not me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent answers to the questions above.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. So the licking of the paws, so I don't leave anything out, is probably due to airborne allergies. With this dogs will lick their paws until they hurt and develop sores. You may want to talk to your vet about Apoquel. This newer drug can stop that licking within a couple of days if it is due to airborne allergies and not a dog that is overly nervous.

I will work on the rest of my answer now:)

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

when it come to the dogs behavior, it is important for your husband to do some daily training with the dog so the dog builds a bond with him. Daily positive training even if it is five minutes a couple of times a day it should help your dog look at your husband in a different way. When he trains I want him to use a very special treat that will only come from your husband. Something like chicken or hot dog slivers.

If you are not familiar with clicker training I will send a link below for this. It is a positive method of training. I also want your husband to use a trigger word that will tell the dog he is about to pet him , so include this word with the training. Something like "Murphy Pet" so the dog knows what is about to happen.

Dogs are born with personalities which develop to stronger personalities over time. If they have a fearful personality and they are not worked with on a daily basis then that behavior will come out in the form of snapping and growling.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This makes sense and I've read about the clicker and just wasn't sure how effective the method.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

it is very effective. We use it to train therapy dogs and service dogs. In fact if your dog likes its food, and you don't put it down in front of him every day in a bowl but use it throughout the day to train and use as a reward you will see a better behaved dog. Treats come in when we ask a dog to do a difficult task and their regular food is not enough for them to try something new.

I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Murphy. How is everything going?
Sally G.