Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Can/should you shave a Pomeranian X Pappilon? I live in the

Customer Question

Can/should you shave a Pomeranian X Pappilon? I live in the tropics. I've heard differing views, I don't want him to over heat or ruin his coat. Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I personally recommend against shaving either of these breeds so I would also not shave a mix of these. These dogs are designed naturally to shed unnecessary hair during the hotter seasons. When you shave a dog down you are also exposing the skin to the rays of the sun that it is not used to. This can lead to a sunburn. In addition, the hair actually can insulate your dog from the heat as well. Now what I do recommend and do with my own alaskan eskimo dog is trim the coat back to a few inches which makes it easier to groom them and keep out mats while removing the shedding hair but still retain enough of the coat to keep the rays of the sun off the skin. Do not cut it too short or the hair won't be long enough to protect from the sun. Since your dog is a mixed breed, I don't know if he has an undercoat or not since the papillon doesn't have an undercoat like my little guy.

Definitely be sure to brush often to remove all the shedding hair as that will help promote air flow and keep him from overheating. Also supply plenty of shady areas for him when he is outside and try to keep walks to the evening, cooler times of the day.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great so I can just trim really short?

I would keep it at least 3 inches long so there is enough hair to keep the sun off the skin.

Hi Em,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pomma. How is everything going?