Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

We have a 12 week old puppy that shows no sign of

Customer Question
understanding the potty training ritual...
We have a 12 week old puppy that shows no sign of understanding the potty training ritual. Drinks tons of water. We feel bad taking it away but... Took her out to pee at 6:25 and at 7:49 peed on the floor.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
12/28/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

How long have you had the pup?

What breed is the pup?

What method of house training are you using?

Is it just urine or both?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Had pup 4 weeks
3 month old golden doodle
Create training
Bell at door. "Outside to potty" praise and treats for successful potty.
Typically urine only. Although she had a poop accident today 1 hour after she had just pooped and peedAgain. Seems to want a lot of water.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

Dogs need about a cup of water for every 8 pounds of body weight every day. a puppy needs a little more but if your puppy is drinking a lot more than that every day, then she may have a urinary tract infection. Frequent urination is a symptom but at this age, they urinate all the time anyway, so that would not really tell you much. She still needs at least a rabies shot most likely so get your vet to do a urinalysis when you go it to see if there is an infection causing her to have problems holding her bladder.

I'm going to give you a site on crate training but basically the dog is in a crate just big enough to lay down and turn around in. You take the pup out when they wake up, eat, drink, play (even if just for a few minutes) and before they go to sleep. This might be once an hour or several times an hour depending on what you are doing. Pups urinate all the time though they are a bit better at 12 weeks.

IF the dog does not have a urinary tract infection, you can then give food and water on a schedule. Of course, you will need to give water more often than food but offer the pup water at specific intervals. Keep track of when you feed the pup and give water. Then track when the pup eliminates. After a day or two you will see a pattern and then you can move the times you feed and/or water so the pup can be outside at those times she most likely will need to eliminate. That allows you a better chance to reward her for eliminating outside. I'd use a high value treat like a hot dog sliver.

Most states require the rabies vaccine be given between 3-4 months of age, so if she still needs this, I'd take her in and have her checked for a UTI if she is indeed drinking much more than she should be. The other option is to leash her to you and if she goes to squat down, give a short tug on the leash and a firm "NO" then take her out and wait until she elimiantes outside and reward her.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/