petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My lil poodle is 12 yrs old and has a bad tooth that is

Customer Question

My lil poodle is 12 yrs old and has a bad tooth that is causing her pain. I know about the tooth because I had taken her to the vet but now I believe she is hurting more and very sensitive in her right jaw I do not have the money for an extraction the vet estimated $800 which I do not have
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Jasmine today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Unfortunately, without the extraction, this may end up being a recurrent problem for her. If there is a tooth root abscess as is often the case, antibiotics may help to relieve the pain associated with the abscess, but if the tooth is dead or devitalized, the abscess will likely recur at some point. Extracting the tooth is the only thing that fixes the problem permanently, but antibiotics and pain medication may provide some temporary relief. If you can't swing the extraction at this time, I would definitely give your vet a call and see if they will at least provide the prescriptions. I would not offer any over the counter pain meds that you may have access to as most are not very safe or effective. There is no harm in continuing the Benedryl in that it may help to keep her a little more sedate and sleepy.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z