Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My Yorkie has fleas hard find but they are there what do I

Customer Question
do...
My Yorkie has fleas hard find but they are there what do I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
12/26/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I am very sorry to hear that you are battling fleas.

First it is important to realize that only 5% of the flea population lives on your pup, the rest is in the environment.

You need to vacuum your home throughly to remove as many eggs and larvae as possible. Concentrate on cracks and crevices, along baseboards, under furniture and areas where they like to sleep and eggs and larvae are at their highest numbers. Vacuum daily and throw away the bag.

You also need to use effective products on your pup. If she is pregnant I recommend Frontline Plus as that is labeled safe for pregnant and nursing dogs and it is effective. Do not bother with over the counter products, they are neither effective nor safe in many instances. Flea preventatives should be applied every 4 weeks if you have a young, healthy dog in a problem situation. If you have other pets all animals must be treated or they will serve as flea reservoirs.

I also recommend treating the home environment with a product that has an adulticide (kills adult fleas) as well as an insect growth regulator to stop egg and larvae from developing. A great product is Siphotrol II Plus Premise spray. I like it because it has an insect growth regulator as well as an adulticide. You can spray it under furniture and into cracks crevices and along baseboards where fleas and their offspring hide. It should be used every 2 weeks and no vacuuming for 2 to 3 days after using it to allow it to settle in. Here is a link to show you the product: http://www.amazon.com/Siphotrol-Plus-Premise-Spray-16oz/dp/B000RGKX7M

The trouble with foggers is that they don't go under furniture or penetrate cracks and crevices so they just aren't effective where they need to be. And they end up in the air where they are nasal irritants for animals and people alike.

Your other option is to have a professional exterminator treat your home and outdoors since Kiki goes outside. Ask for a guarantee and make sure that the products they use don't contain organophosphates and do have an adulticide and an insect growth regulator.

The key with flea treatment is consistency, not stopping too quickly, and using effective products.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian