Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We have a Bouvier (SP?) that has advanced Lyme disease.

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** We have a Bouvier (SP?) that has advanced Lyme disease.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Having a great deal of difficulty standing and walking. Has stopped eating and is drinking little, if any, water. He is being treated by a vet with antibiotics and pain medication but there does not seem to be any kind of improvement.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long can he go withourt eating / drinking?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has your vet noted any side issues from his Lyme's disease like kidney damage?

What pain relief if being used?

Has he had any gagging, retching, lip licking, or vomiting?

Any belly discomfort, tenderness or tensing if you press on it?

Any black or bloody stools?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Since I have not heard back from you, I do want to leave my thoughts on the information you have given.

Now in regards ***** ***** specific question, there is no set limitation on how long a dog can be without food and water (research into that would be quite unethical). That said, when we get passed 48 hours, there is serious risk of dehydration and weakness due to starvation. Therefore, when we have a dog off food, we always want to be proactive and address this.

Now we can see appetite loss as part of this condition, but we can also see it secondary to kidney issues (which can follow on from Lymes) and when dogs are sensitive to the drugs they are on. Therefore, we have a few different concerns and need to tread with care.

With your lad’s situation, I do have to say that it would be ideal to ring his vet and update them on his appetite loss. They can start him with strong injectable anti-nausea medication (ie Metoclopramide, Cerenia, Zofran) and treat with appetite stimulants. If there is any delay in having him seen, you can at least try an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

Once that is on board, we do want to try to tempt him to eat. Favorites are allowed or you can try an easily digestible diet. (ie cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. And I would note that if he isn’t willing to be tempted, then we can start syringe feeding. For that, we tend to use nutrient rich diets like Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, Clinicare, or Dogsure. Or we can even use a nutrient paste like Nutrical or even canned puppy food. And all can be watered down to be used for syringing feeding.

Overall, we don't want your lad off food/water and therefore need to add address this as quickly as possible. Therefore, the above would be our points of call to settle his stomach, protect it from any adverse reaction to the drugs he is on, and get him back to eating as quickly as possible.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

** Please remember to rate my service when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you