Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 3 week old Rottweiler and she has the crusty growth

Customer Question
on her ear...
I have a 3 week old Rottweiler and she has the crusty growth on her ear
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
12/23/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has it been present?

Any hair loss?

Is it itchy for her?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No hair loss just the growth ... I adopted her from a friend who's dog had puppies... She had no ideal what it is ... I'm hoping it's not sabbies. I have a small child.

Thank you,

Since the photo isn't fully in focus there, can you tell me if there is any discharge or swelling in the ear canal itself?

Is she itching with it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have noticed her itching ... The ear canal isn't swell . I cleaned it with peroxide
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
their isn't any discharge
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a growth and it looked like cailflower before I cleaned it , put put an antibiotic cream on it

Thank you,

Now when we see crusty lesions like this on young dogs, we do have a few concerns. Scabies is less likely if you have only noticed some itching instead of her being severely itchy all the time. This is because those mites tend to be very irritating and often dogs will scratch themselves raw. That said, we can see crusting with other mites (that are not communicable to people) like Demodex or Cheytiella. As well, another concern for crusting like this would be a bacterial infection or ringworm (which we can catch).

Now that all said, since we have a growth with this, all of the above would likely be secondary. Since she is young, we'd not be thinking nasty cancers, but this could be soft tissue inflammation, a polyp, skin tag or a cyst. So, we need to address the crusting but also monitor the lump for any growth. If it gets any bigger, we'd need to have a check with her vet to determine what type of growth it is and whether we need it removed once she is old enough to do so.

In this situation, we do want to tread with care. To address any suspect mites (scabies included), I would note that you can treat with a multi-anti-parasitic spot on like Advantage Multi, Revolution or Stronghold. These can be used once every 2-3 weeks for 2 doses and can help clear any lurking mites.

Otherwise, for bacterial infections in a local area, it can help to bathe the region with a mild antiseptic. Since we cannot rule out ringworm, we'd be best to use dilute chlorohexidine and wear gloves. This can be used to clean the area 2-3 times daily. Afterwards you can pat it dry and apply your OTC antibiotic cream +/- an anti-fungal cream (ie miconazole, clotrimazole).

Finally, since we have a communicable risk and you do have a young child, I would note that it'd be ideal to have her local vet test that lesion and the crusting for you. That way we can just rule out ringworm or start aggressive treatment against it to make sure it doesn't spread to anyone in the family.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank You ! I will the vet in the morning!

You are very welcome,

I do think that is the best option here since your wee one will surely wanting to handle Angel and we'd not want to risk any spread between them. :)

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angel. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian