Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 3.8 lb shitzuicked up about 2-3mgs of sonata.she is

Customer Question
walking drug for 20 mins...
My 3.8 lb shitzuicked up about 2-3mgs of sonata.she is walking drug for 20 mins. Help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/19/2015
Dog Specialist: VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech replied 1 year ago
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question. When you say she is walking "drug", do you mean drunk, like she is stumbling? Is she taking any medications of her own?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She licked up about 2 mg of a 10 mg Gram tablet of zaleplon.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I gave her a little hydrogen peroxide less than a teaspoon and she threw up. This was at the advice of our own vet.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is woozy and stumbles around a little bit but still able to walk
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is in good health, about nine months old and weighs about 4 pounds at best
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is a shihtzu
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

When dogs get into sleeping pills like that, there are a couple of possibilities for the signs they could show. One is to become extremely sedate (we see sleepiness, stumbling, wooziness), and the other possibility is that they show an opposite reaction (they get hyper and agitated).

The absolute safest thing to do would be to get her into a vet clinic to have her checked out. While the dose she got is not extremely high, there is a slight possibility that we can see extreme sedation in these guys.

If that is not a possibility, she needs to be monitored VERY closely at home. So long as she remains sedate and does not become unresponsive, you could potentially continue to monitor her until she sleeps it off. If she gets so sedate that you're not easily able to rouse her from sleep, or if she starts to get hyperactive or agitated (they can go from sleepy to hyper quickly sometimes), then she will need to go into an emergency clinic ASAP for treatment.

When they are sedate and sleep, it typically will wear off over the course of the day and they will return to their normal selves. I would wake her every hours for the next 3-4 hours to make sure she responds and is still doing well, and do not leave her at home alone.

She needs to be kept in a quiet environment, as the stimulation of a lot of movement and loud noise can sometimes cause them to go from sleepy to agitated.

The signs of wooziness are not life-threatening, but if she gets so sedate she cannot easily wake from sleep (which is hard to predict at lower doses, as it remains a possibility), or if she becomes agitated, this could lead to more serious side-effects or complications.

Do you have additional questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is fairly active and wants to play so I'm trying to do that with her so maybe the medication wear off a little sooner
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since she threw up she seems to be improving may be a little bit
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They say fatty foods can dilute the effects from this medication, should I give her some Nutra Cal ?

If she did vomit, go ahead and withhold her food and water for an hour to give her tummy a chance to settle. Sometimes it will help to bring up some of what they swallowed and reduce the signs.

If she's not continuing to vomit after that period, do water only for an hour before starting in on any type of food. If you feed her now, it could potentially cause her to continue vomiting for a longer period of time, which is not good for a dog her size. little bits of food after this period are okay.

VetTechErin
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech