Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My Maltese boy Wolf was groomed yesterday. Groomer use Dawn

Customer Question

Customer: Hi ***** ***** - My Maltese boy Wolf was groomed yesterday. Groomer use Dawn to clean ear area with residual medication from healed ear infection. His eye has been bothering him since (just one eye). Groomer said soap may have gotten in his eye. He weighs 12 lbs.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He's been squinting the one eye. I dabbed it yesterday with a clean, damp cloth. This morning it appeared to have discharge and was closed. Again we cleaned with water.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

A chemical burn of the cornea is most often found when a history of recent grooming exists. These should heal promptly when secondary infection is prevented by administering a prescription ophthalmic antibiotic prescribed by his vet. Because eyes can "go south" in a hurry" it would be prudent to have his vet attend to him at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I very much appreciate your response while I was waiting I consulted with my vet over the phone. I was told for the time being to flush his eye with clean water and also use sterile saline drops. Then to monitor for a day or so. already appears to be an improvement and he is exhibiting no signs of discomfort

Thank goodness. Bletherospasm ("squinting") indicates pain and so once you see that disappear he should have remissed. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.