Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Our miniature dachshund is constantly chewing a spot in her

Customer Question
hind quarter. All her...
Our miniature dachshund is constantly chewing a spot in her hind quarter. All her hair is gone and raw and bloody.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
12/13/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is this spot on the back close to the tail area?

If not can you give me a better idea where it is?

Is she on flea preventative and heartworm preventative?

If so what kind?

How long has this been an issue?

Has she had any unusual treats or change in food or new treats?

Has Daisy been around other dogs besides your own?

I have to step out for a couple of hours but I don't ant you waiting for an answer. Let me go over some causes for hair loss. I do want to preface that by letting you know that hair loss right in front of the tail on the back is often a hot spot due to fleas and/or flea allergies. It is a moist dermatitis and can be treated by cutting the hair back in the area and applying witch hazel or a mild betadine solution and applying neosporin or triple antibiotic cream 3 times a day. It usually takes about a week to see hair regrowth. Of course, you do need to get the dog on a flea preventative in that case.

Unfortunately, there are many conditions that can cause a dog to experience hair loss including ringworm, mange, hypothyroidism, cushing disease and allergies.

Ringworm can have a scaly reddish rash around the edges of the bare patches though there can be a rash in the bare area as well. It is often hid under the hair on the edge. Any over the counter antifungal cream for ringworm will work on this. The cream should be applied to an area slightly larger and for about a week after it appears to have cleared up. There are two types of mange and mange is actually caused by mites. Usually hair loss starts in specific areas of the body before spreading to other areas. Allergies are a frequent cause of scratching and hair loss and an be caused by many different things. Treating any problem without knowing for sure what it is causes a delay in the treatment of the real problem if your first guess is wrong. I really suggest you have your Vet examine the areas and diagnose this. Below are websites that will go into more detail on these conditions.

Here is a website on Ringworm:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html

Here is two on Mange.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_mange.html

Hypothyroidism and cushing on these pages:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypothyroidism-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hyperadrenocorticism-cushing-s-syndrome-in-dogs/page1.aspx

You can read up on allergies here:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/allergy.htm

If you suspect an allergy condition is to blame, you can give your dog Benadryl up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours.

There might be a secondary skin condition in addition to the allergy such as staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition though it does not cure the allergy. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet.

Since it is raw and red as well, a moist dermatitis is the likely cause. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Kate Loeffler,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?