Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has been off all day and now last 4 hours won't let

Customer Question
Customer: This is Gayle....
Customer: This is Gayle. My dog has been off all day and now for the last 4 hours won't let me sleep...she wants me in the living room. She only lays down for 5 - 8 minutes at a time and then walks around the house...totally unlike her. She has been doing full body shaking and keeps scratching her side. I can't tell if her belly is swollen. This morning the rims of her eyes started looking reddish. She just drank a lot of water and wants to eat. So my question is should I call the emergency vet place, or try to wait until morning. Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog has been off all day and now for the last 4 hours won't let me sleep...she wants me in the living room. She only lays down for 5 - 8 minutes at a time and then walks around the house...totally unlike her. She has been doing full body shaking and keeps scratching her side. I can't tell if her belly is swollen. This morning the rims of her eyes started looking reddish. She just drank a lot of water and wants to eat. So my question is should I call the emergency vet place, or try to wait until morning. Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/1cxak-dog-pacing-around-can-t-settle-down.html#ixzz3uC7sV9OZ
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/13/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If she is eating and drinking and not vomiting or having diarrhea, those are good signs. However, the trembling and restlessness could be signs of pain or even seizure activity. Shaking or trembling in toy breeds at a young age could be due to hypoglycemia, liver shunt, or a neurologic response such as a seizure. Trembling can also be a sign of pain, stress and cold.

Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar and frequently causing trembling in small breeds. Feeding your dog smaller meals more frequently can help. If you suspect your dog is having low blood sugar you can put a drop of pancake syrup on your dog's tongue which should raise the level.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoglycemia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

A liver shunt is usually a genetic condition. It is a condition where instead of the blood going through the liver and being cleansed, part of the blood is diverted around the liver resulting in a toxic buildup in the blood. You can read about these here: http://www.malteseonly.com/shunt2.html

Seizures can manifest as trembling and a dog may not lose conscienceness. You can read more about seizures here: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_seizure_disorder.html

If she recently had a new treat or a change of food, perhaps she is having an allergic reaction leading to the scratching and other symptoms. If you think this is the cause you may try benadryl at a dosage of 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours. If she is not having trouble breathing, you shoujld be able to wait until morning, but if she is having problems breathing, I'd have her seen as soon as possible. Read more on allergies here:

: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/allergy.htm

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.