Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have an elderly sheltie that must have gotten in a fight

Customer Question

I have an elderly sheltie that must have gotten in a fight with our other dogs last weekend when i ran to Kentucky to pick up my Dad. He was several spots that look like bite wounds. I've shaved these areas ti get a better look at them and a couple spots had a l8t of puss. Can I give him cefdinir 300 mg? It's the only thing we have in the house other than neosporin ointment.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Ranger. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If there are bite wounds, they can get infected, and we usually do treat bite wounds with clipping, cleaning, and antibiotics. Usually I would use amoxicillin, or cephalexin. Cefdinir is not used much in dogs but I did find a dose for you. I need to know how much he weighs to give you a safe dose.

If he weighs 22 pounds, he would get 70 mg twice daily, or 140 mg once daily. Is it a tablet you can divide? If he is 20 to 25 pounds, 1/2 of a 300 once daily would be the dose I found that is considered safe in dogs.

Let me know if I can answer anything else and please get back to me about his weight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is at least 45-50 lbs. He is overweight and it took both my fa y her and I to pick him up. They are capsules not tablets.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If he is 45 to 50 pounds, the dose would be 300 mg once daily.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

This antibiotic would not be my first choice; it is not used much in dogs. However, I can find a published dose and 300 mg would be about right for a dog his size. I hope it helps. Let me know what else I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if I can help with anything else, and let me know how he is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer. You can still get back to me with more questions and updates anytime after rating. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Ranger doing? Can I answer or help with anything else?