How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 20837
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog won't eat or drink water days now. She sleeps all day

Customer Question

My dog won't eat or drink water for two days now. She sleeps all day and doesn't move much.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How many months is Rosie?

Has she had any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea or changes to her breathing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11 months
Gums are pink and moist,side of lips are crusty
No reaction to pressing on her stomach
I think she may have gotten in to a little chocolate but she's not showing any signs of chocolate poisoning.
I'm not sure of diarrhea but no changes to her breathing.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

First, I must say that I am quite concerned about Rosie. If she is vomiting that does actually fit with chocolate toxicity. So, we need to tread with care if she got quite a bit or it was dark or semi-sweet chocolate. Otherwise, just to note in case that chocolate is a red herring, we could also see these signs with bacteria, viruses, parasites, pancreatitis, toxins, foreign body ingestion, and general dietary indiscretions So, there are quite a few potential causes for what we are seeing with Rosie.

Now we always need to be careful with young vomiting dogs, since they have a very small body reserve and we can see situations like this quickly lead to dehydration and nutrition loss (which can make them weak, lethargic and lose weight). Therefore, we want to be aggressive and proactive in helping settle this for her. Therefore, to start, since she is sounding weak here, you can consider giving her a bit of a blood sugar boost just now by rubbing a high sugar substance (ie karo syrup, honey, pancake syrup, etc) on her gums to give her a boost.

Otherwise, we need to address her nausea since this caused her vomiting and is also why they become anorexic. Now if she hasn't just vomited, we can try some oral antacids with her. That said, if she cannot keep these down when you do, that is a red flag that we'd need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting treatment from her vet. in regards ***** ***** pet safe antacids, we can use either Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

If she can keep that down, we can then try tempting her with a light diet. The chicken was a good start but other options you can try are cooked white rice with boiled white fish, cottage cheese, meat baby food (make sure to use one thats garlic/onion free) or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Whichever you feed, do make sure to offer this as small frequent meals.

Since dehydration is a serious risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a"skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing but it does fit with chocolate exposure as well. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach but keep a very close eye on her. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours (since she is young and this has already been going on too long for her); then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach and get her back feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )