PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My pit started wheezing recently and sounds like stuck

Customer Question

My pit started wheezing recently and sounds like stuck throat object
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Clark, I'm so sorry to hear that Puma isn't doing well. If she's having difficulty breathing, please take her immediately to an emergency room. If she's not, I have some additional questions below to help determine what might be going on:

1) Where in the USA are you located (state is fine)?

2) Is Puma an inside only dog or does she stay outside as well?

3) Is she given monthly heartworm prevention year round? If so, what variety is used?

4) Has Puma been boarded or groomed anywhere within the last month?

5) Any recent visits to the dog park or play dates with other dogs?

6) How long has this been happening?

7) How often does it happen?

8) Do you have video of this occurrence you can share?

I will be able to best help you with this additional info. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New York,inside, monthly, no and no, about a month. Every day,

It would be worth having her heartworm tested to be sure she doesn't have them. They can cause congestive heart failure and wheezing/coughing is commonly a symptom.

You may also wish to explore the possibility of allergies. Below is a link to common antihistamines and their dosages for dogs.http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

Additionally, bully breeds are commonly afflicted by heart disease, especially as they age. If her wheezing persists, I'd have your vet perform chest X-rays to be sure she isn't dealing with cardiac or pulmonary disease. This can and usually is a slow onset with worsening as time goes on. If antihistamines don't help, this would be an optimal next step to diagnosing what's causing her to wheeze.

If my answer has helped you please take the time to leave a positive rating. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further. You will still be able reach out to me once you have submitted a rating with no further expense.