Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Sa My short hair dog has been scratching week and the rash

Customer Question

Hi Theresa My short hair dog has been scratching for a week and the rash is looking more irritating. Can i use dermoplast or any other itch relief spray?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'VE ADDED PICTURES OF THE RASH.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Dermoplast just has a numbing agent and nothing to treat the underlying problem.

You can use the Dermoplast as long as he does not lick a lot off.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

It looks like it may be a skin infection.

So I would mix over the counter hydrocortisone cream and neosporin 50:50. Apply that three times a day.

It is not toxic if he licks it.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

As long as he is not on any other medication you can give him benadryl for itching. The human benadryl is fine. 1 mg of benadryl, per each pound of dog, every 12 hours as needed. For example a 25 pound dog takes 25 mg of benadryl every 12 hours.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Wash him with a gentle oatmeal dog shampoo or human aveeno oatmeal shampoo to remove any allergens that may still be on his skin.

If his skin is still that red and inflamed two days from now he will need to see the vet as he probably needs oral antibiotics.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?