Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My dog has been seeing the vet over 8 days, and last

Customer Question

My dog has been seeing the vet for just over 8 days, and last Thursday she was referred to a specialist hospital. Early hours of last Monday she began vomiting and what she vomited was her tea from 6 pm the night before and it seemed complete. I put this down to a upset tummy so didn't overly worry then she began wretching so I made an vet appt for 6pm but at 4pm she vomited a really dark liquid so I rushed her to the vets. When we arrived they did an X-ray ( as she did eat a pebble a few years back and this reminded me of then. The X-ray came back clear and we went home. All was well on Tuesday but after both meals she was sick again. I took her back to the vets and they did a barium X-ray and after 8 hours it was still in her stomach, we went back the next morning and half had passed through, the vet this was not the norm so referred her and this time she had an ultrasound, bloods and X-ray and still nothing showed so they began treating her for acute gastritis, they said she was ok to come home Saturday and when we got home she did her first poo of the week which was medium and very loose. Sunday she ate well and I gave her small meals throughout the day which she ate well but spent all day and night in and out trying to go for a poo but couldn't. She is now back at the vets and being treated for gastritis and also on antibiotics, she still hasn't been to the toilet and I am convinced there is a blockage. Then I remember bac to the Thursday before she became unwell and she was eating her dental chew a flat oblong shape Logic Dental chews, and the gate intercom went and she gobbled it quick and it was gone.......could this be the problem? Or would it show on an X-ray, I am so desperate for her to be well again
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. So this does sound like gastritis to me as well......the good news is that the vomiting has stopped and I would bet that whatever is causing the gastritis has now reached her lower GI tract. And yes the dental chew could definitively have caused all of this. With more fluids and antibiotics she should be fine. If they felt she was actually obstructed they would take her to surgery. She could just be moving parts of that chew through her intestinal tract and it sounds as if things might be in her colon now, so that is good. Given a little more time and therapy, it sounds like she will get through this without surgery and that is definitively preferable. I hoped that I have helped you but please let me know if you have additional questions. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you think it's passing through on its own? it will 2 weeks Thursday that she gobbled it, I really didn't give it a 2nd thought as she was fine until the early hours of the Monday and was going to the toilet ok but strangely we didn't get a second one on the Sunday. She has only been to the toilet once in the past week and when I spoke to the vet earlier she has vomited a very small amount this morning but was eating again, which she stopped yesterday morning. I just feel when she is full as she can't do a number 2 there is no room so she vomits
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I think the likelihood that it will pass is pretty high based on the history you have outlined. I have seen dogs go through this so many times and it can sometimes take weeks for this to resolve. She likely is moving things through but is occasionally having partial obstruction. And then it will go past another loop of bowel.They should be re-radiographing her just to make sure things do look clear. At any point if they think she has an obstruction that will not pass then they should make the decision to take her to surgery. Is she at the specialist hospital now?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

If she is not at the specialist hospital, you may want to have her transferred to there because if she needs surgery this will be her best option for recovery. And like I said they should be taking more xrays of her so they can watch for change and or development of obstruction. Please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need additional assistance. I am happy to help. Sincerely, DRB