petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I'm worried about my dog. From light night she had a hard

Customer Question

I'm worried about my dog. From light night she had a hard time opening one if her eyes. This morning she had an unusual amount of eye mucus, more than what she usually has. My girlfriend was cleaning the house last night and was worried that she may have spread either the Windex or other cleaning products she was using in my dogs eye while petting her. When she did open her eye for the brief moments she can there is also an usual amount of redness what do we do?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. It appears the expert you have requested is not currently available. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Conjunctivitis due to irritation is one possible cause, but there are other things that can make a dog's eye appear that way including anterior uveitis (inflammation of the eyeball itself), dry eye, scratches or even glaucoma. None of these conditions can be identified by visual evaluation alone and further testing is often needed to differentiate.

It is best to keep any discharge from building up around her eyes by wiping gently with a warm water cloth. You can continue flushing her eyes with eyewash or saline solution (like contact wearers use). She may also get some relief from an artificial tear type solution applied as frequently as needed to keep the eyes lubricated. The product called Genteal® is available over the counter (OTC) as a solution or a gel.

If you are not seeing improvement or relief, I would have Maddie examined by your veterinarian to make sure that there is nothing else going on as mentioned above. Eye problems can progress quickly so I wouldn't wait to long to seek help if it continues.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z