Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I've got a German short haired pointer pup. 8 weeks old

Customer Question

I've got a German short haired pointer pup. 8 weeks old with an umbilical hernia. Previous owners will pay to get it repaired. My question is 1. How much? 2. Is it safe or better off to leave it? 3. I'm gonna have her spayed would we be better off waiting
till she reaches spay age and do both at once vs two sirgeries?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

No problem, glad to be advising you Steve.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. When to have her spayed? : This is actually a debatable point amongst vets, some vets spay dogs when they are very young and some vets when they are older. I personally generally like to spay female dogs three or four weeks after their first season. This first season ensures her reproductive tract is mature and this can prevent some problems in later life. Also this will mean spaying the dog when she is seven or eight months of age depending on when she first came into season so this will mean she is by that time a large well developed dog and will be able to withstand the surgery better and recover quicker.

2. The good news is that umbilical hernias rarely present any problem to dogs and it is very possible to both spay her and carry out the umbilical hernia surgery at the same time. I have often done this in the past and of course this approach spares the dog a second anaesthetic and second surgery session. The umbilical hernia surgery hernia surgery is a very quick and easy minor procedure by the way.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

.