Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 5 mo old shitzu ate my wife's earring. What should we

Customer Question

Our 5 mo old shitzu ate my wife's earring. What should we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Cory,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Please give me a little more information on the earring which Penney swallowed, how big was it? what was it like, Did it have any sharp projections or attachments?

2. how long ago did this happen.

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A thumb nail long hook
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would say 4-5 hours ago this happened. We did not see it happen, but my wife is missing an earring and the dog has thrown up twice tonight

Hello again Corey

I have dealt with quite a few similar situations over the and years worked out an answer for you ...

1. If the dog has indeed swallowed this object { vomiting is very common in the dog from other causes by the way } then with this type of object with a hook attached it would not recommended to make dogs sick to recover it as the hook part could well cause damage to the throat on the way back up. { But in any case this has to be done within the first hour after ingestion }

2. So given the above the best thing to do is just to sit it out and monitor your dog, in the past I have been surprised how often such object just pass along the dog's intestinal tract without problem. However what may help though is to feed your dog a few slices of bread or some mashed potato because this can form round any bone shards and help protect the intestinal tract lining as the earring fragments pass along. I find this very often helps.

It is nasty job I know but you should examine Penney's faeces over the next few days to make sure the object has passed.

3. However there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems related to intestinal tract damage with similar incidents. You would be therefore wise to monitor Penney for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet without delay if any such symptoms appear.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Corey,

I am just checking back in to see how Penney is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the earring.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We took her in to the clinic for an ex ray and it wasn't an earring but they found a penny in her stomach. They had to scope her to get it out. Not a fun night but she is doing better now.

Hello again Cory,

Thanks for the update, as you say not a fun night but you certainly did the right thing by your dog ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Cory,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Penney. How is everything going?