Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My name is tereasea. I am worried about my 7 yr old morkie.

Customer Question

Hello. My name is ***** ***** am worried about my 7 yr old morkie. When I went out to his kennel to bring him in he was like always very happy to see me. He was jumping on the side of the kennel and then fell back and for what seemed to be a seizure. He is very healthy and active. No signs of health issues. What could be the cause.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me why this happened
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I cannot tell you for sure why this happened but I can tell you some of the possibilities......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K what are they
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

So one of the first concerns I would have is hypoglycemia or low blood sugar......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry as much as I want and need help I can't pay anymore thanks.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Other possibilities include a shunt either inside or outside the liver. Also brain inflammation is possible and epilepsy.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

You do not need to pay anymore money.I will answer your questions and give you info until you are satisfied....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

This situation requires that your dog be examined by a veterinarian in person and have a CBC, chem panel and UA test done to rule out metabolic disease.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Once low blood sugar and kidney/liver disease is ruled out your vet may discuss with you keeping a seizure log and if your pet has a seizure more than once monthly then your vet make recommend an MRI. If you are unable to do that your vet may want to start anti seizure medication.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

To be on the safe side I would keep some honey available to place on your dog's gums if he has another seizure in case it is low blood sugar. You may want to also purchase a product called nutrical to give him several times a day to keep his blood sugar up.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can answer additional questions for you. I will be happy to get back to you. Sincerely, DRB