Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

, My 7 month old dog, 12.5 lbs, ate 100 mg of armour

Customer Question

Customer: I am Bill
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My 7 month old dog, 12.5 lbs, ate 100 mg of armour throid sometime last night. He seems normal now.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Thank you I will wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

So did he eat just a single pill?

Has he been eating/drinking normally this morning?

Any vomiting or diarrhea that you've noticed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he ate just one 120 milligram pill. he is acting fine with no apparent reaction
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

As a general rule, the average dose size of this kind of medication in dogs is 0.1mg/10 lb of body weight, which means that your little dog would get 0.1 - 0.15 mg twice a day. In studies, it's shown that an over dose of up to 3-6 times more shows very little problems, while over doses over that can be hepatotoxic...meaning they impact the kidneys.

The problem with kidney damage is that a dog can be sick for several days before they show any symptoms, and once they do, it can be too late to fix things.

Because of this, the absolute best thing to do is to give your vet a quick call and ask if they want to run any blood work and check those values, or if they want you to just monitor him at this point.

Hopefully he'll end up being just fine, but since he got such a big dose and he's such a little dog, it's going to better to err on the side of caution and touch base with your vet today, rather than waiting until he gets sicker this weekend and you end up having to go to an expensive emergency vet.

I hope this helps.