Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

One had my dog to the vet she got 2 shots 1 the other reflux

Customer Question
One had my dog to...
One had my dog to the vet she got 2 shots 1 for bronchitis the other for acid reflux still same raspy not when she barks when she's excited then she gags like somethings in her throat the dr checked her heart trachea temperature all good she's eating good bowel movements good did the raw honey for a week before I took her just wanna help her she's 6 yrs old Boston terrier/ boxer mix her energy is good don't know no smoke in the house
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
11/27/2015
Dog Specialist: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Tango hasn't been feeling well - I'll do my best to help It sounds like you're describing a cough - is that right? If so, how long has it been going on and do you feel that it's improved at all in that time? How long ago was she at the vet?

~Dr. Sara

She's had the raspiness for a couple of weeks I was giving her raw honey but no improvement so took her to vet 4 days ago he checked her throat, heart, took her temperature all good so he gave her a shot of penicillin and a shot for acid reflux said if no improvement to bring her back just can't afford to spend money if it's not helping

Hi there, thanks for your patience.

A cough in dogs can be caused by infections (viral and bacterial) that can range from mild illness that they'll get over on their own in a week or two (which is what we frequently will say at the first visit) all the way to life threatening pneumonia. A severe infection that progresses to pneumonia tends to get very much worse very quickly, so that might not be what's happening here. A couple of other things that can cause a more chronic cough are heart disease, sterile bronchitis, and tracheal collapse. It can be difficult for the vet to tell these things apart without hearing the cough in person. If I don't get a chance to hear the cough or I can't tell based on the cough what's going on, that's when I'll move forward with chest X-rays. These can be very helpful in determining if a cough is cardiac or respiratory in origin. Some other diagnostics that can help sort the issue out would be some blood work (specifically a heart worm test), and possibly some airway sampling. Frequently, if a pet has a cough that isn't improved on its own in a week or two, vets will do some trials of cough suppressants, heart medications, or anti-inflammatories to see if any of those do improve the cough at all. There's a good chance that with a bit of diagnostics and some trials of medications, you and your vet can find the treatment plan that helps get this cough under control. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian