Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog ingested a very small piece off one Alka seltzer plus

Customer Question
severe cold and flu tablet...
My dog ingested a very small piece off one Alka seltzer plus severe cold and flu tablet. Should I be worried since it's such a small piece
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
11/26/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

How much does she weigh?

What was the listed active ingredients/milligrams?

Do you think she had a half, quarter, or less of the tablet?

It was probably twenty minutes or so ago. She weighs 21 pounds
I can't read all the active ingredients but it is the one with the pain relieve. She had a very small piece. It's was just the corner of it when she was trying to chew open the package.
I would say it was 1/10 of the tablet. Give or take a little but it wasn't much

Thank you,

Now while I was waiting for your reply, I did look up the product and its ingredients. Now the dextromethorphan and chlorpheniramine are both dog friendly and unlikely to cause issue here. That said, this also includes acetaminophen and phenylephrine. The former can be safe in small doses but the last one can cause issues. That all said, if it was only that small a dose, we'd hope not to see anything from this. Just to note, when we have phenylephrine adverse signs, we can see vomiting, agitation, lethargy, panting, and shaking.

In Sugar's case, we do have a few options here. You can choose to err on the side of caution and intervene or monitor for those above signs since this is a lower risk situation. If you did want to err on the side of caution, you could induce vomiting now. To do so, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkeybaster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken,boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, this does sound like a low dose exposure and therefore her risk is low. So, we can use the above just now to reduce that further or monitor for those signs I noted. Of course, if we did see those signs with her, then we'd want a check with her vet for symptomatic treatment to counter this for her.

Ihope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all theinformation you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Thank you.
If we choose not to force the committing and just watch for symptoms and she starts experiencing them is it then too late to Induce vomitting?

You are very welcome.

We have a window of inducing vomiting of ~2 hours (though sooner is always better since less drug can be absorbed the less time it is in the stomach). Otherwise, we can use the charcoal for up to 8 hours post ingestion. But again with this being such a low dose, you can choose to monitor in this case.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Thank you. And have a happy thanksgiving

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian