Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My pug has probhelms breathing. It appears s left nostril is

Customer Question

Customer: My pug has probhelms breathing. It appears his left nostril is totally blocked. The antihistamines suggested by the vet are not workiing.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Do you know of a good product that may open the pug's nostril?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup hasn't been feeling well. How long has this been going on and what has the vet tried so far to help? Has he been to the vet for a physical examination?

When I see a dog with one nostril blocked but the other flowing freely, I get concerned for a mechanical obstruction. This could be caused by exudate (mucus, biological material, "snot") from an infection - although usually when it's an infection, it happens to both nostrils at the same time. Another possibility is obstruction with a foreign object, like a piece of plant material or food that got pushed into the back of the nasal canal from the oral cavity. You didn't say his age, but in older pets I also worry for things like nasal or sinus tumors and dental abscesses. Depending on your geographic area, fungal infections in the nose can also cause obstruction. If the pet appears to be happy and stable aside from a "boogery" nose, I usually start with antibiotics and time. If that doesn't help, then we have to discuss moving forward with diagnostics like a an anesthetized dental exam with extraction of any suspicious teeth, X-rays of the skull, and possibly a nasal flush. The last resort diagnostically is to put a scope (camera) up into the oral and nasal cavities to look around and gather tissue samples for biopsy and culture. So the short answer to your question on whether there's a product to open up that nostril is that it depends on what's causing the problem. If it's any of the most common issues, then it's going to require some veterinary intervention. You can certainly try placing plain saline drops into his nostrils. This is easiest to accomplish by pointing his face directly toward the sky and placing 2-3 drops into each nostril. That's unlikely to harm him, and could dislodge a small piece of material blocking the nasal canal.

What other questions can I answer for you?

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara