PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a beagle who is 14wks and he ate some. Will he be

Customer Question

I have a beagle who is 14wks and he ate some weed. Will he be okay? As of right now he has just been asleep but has been showing signs of him peeing a little on himself
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex, can you tell me how much he consumed, how much he weighs and when it was consumed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs about maybe 10pounds I wanna say no more than a gram. It was in a ziploc but he tore it up and got a hold ofit, it was about maybe 2hrs ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?

It's going to take a few minutes to type a response. Hang tight. I'll post just as soon as I'm done.

I know it goes without saying, but prevention is the best method here. Dogs like to be repeat offenders, so try to be sure that the weed is put somewhere he cannot access it. They typically don't learn from their mistakes in cases like these and he's apt to do it again.

That being said, most dogs who consume weed usually survive although they often exhibit signs of being stoned, basically. We often see hard sleeping, balance issues when walking, urinating while sleeping, easily startled behavior, low temperature, etc. It's customary to recommend taking your pet to the vet as they can induce vomiting, monitor symptoms/temperature and administer activated charcoal to minimize absorption in the GI tract for what may have made it out of the stomach. This is the safest approach.

If you choose to keep him at home, keep an eye out for more major symptoms such as being unable to wake him, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, non-responsive behavior, if he stops breathing, etc. The majority of symptoms occur within the first 12-24 hours of consumption and he should be resolved by the 72 hour mark. If he worsens, you absolutely must take him to a veterinarian this evening. It may be worth finding an ER clinic just in case you need it. If you need assistance with this, reply with your city, state and zipcode and I'll locate one for you.

If my response has helped you, kindly leave a positive rating for me. If questions remain, please reply. You will still be able to reach me once a rating has been issued. Thanks ahead of time and best of luck with Max.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy