Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 4 year old yorkie/poo recently starte rubbing her back on

Customer Question
the carpet and shaking at...
My 4 year old yorkie/poo recently starte rubbing her back on the carpet and shaking at different times thru the day. Sometimes she wants to hide, There are no visible injuries, shes not limping or bloated. I did change her food about a month ago. She still plays but not like usual, she usually has a toy in my face 24/7
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
11/23/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Based on Lola's signs, this sounds like skin irritation likely caused by an allergy. And I would note that if this started after a food change a few weeks ago, then it is quite possible that there is a protein in that diet that is setting her off (they can take 4-6 weeks to get into the skin cells and cause trouble). Therefore, it'd be advisable to review this current diet and compare it what you have fed before. From there, you could put her back on her old diet or choose one that hasn't whatever new ingredients you are seeing when you compare the old and new diets. In all cases, do be aware that it can again take 4-6 weeks for those allergens to get back out of the skin and stop causing signs even after we change the diet.

Finally, to keep Lola comfortable while you adjust her die and further to the shampoo (which is worth keeping up on), you can consider treating her with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl).A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, asit can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Or if her signs are very severe, then we'd want to also consider a short course of steroids from her vet.

Overall, her signs are highly suspicious of allergic skin disease and given the recent diet change this could be your culprit. Therefore, we'd want to continue the shampoo but also use the above to give her relief and nip this in the bud for her.

hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

PS...adjust her "diet". And one more wee thought about Lola rubbing her back, you can place a baby tshirt on her to protect the area from further self-trauma.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian