Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne ,
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My sisters American cocker is 9 and is told she has

Customer Question

My sisters American cocker is 9 and is told she has cauliflower ear. Like would happen if ear closed all the way. Vet is not clear on that guestion . Between visits i call in with her progress i ll call monday guestions i write to ask . But its getting hard because of the ear is growing more growths closing any access to enter ear! What then ? What is not telling me dr when i ask is unclear in her answer , thats where we r at. Not yet , but getting there. Is there an answer? She just not telling- c on line . Iam just trying to be informed an on this as much as i can. Its her life iam doing everyday something flusing out or her med . To much or to little that why we talk inbeween crazy !
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Just to be clear what you are asking, are you asking if it is worth it for Molly to have the surgery? How long as Molly had problems with her ear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was wrong about her age. Molly is 12. She has had ear infections off and on for the last 5 or 6 years. My sister Sheree is concerned about what will happen if the ear closes completely. It is almost there now. Sheree's income is a monthly social security. So she cannot afford an expensive surgery, unless you have info on an org that can help with the cost. And would this surgery help her and how much of a risk?

Hello thanks for the additional information. Sorry to hear about Molly struggle with her ear infections. Sounds like she has a pretty chronic ear infection which has caused the ears to close over time. Unfortunately this is all too common in Cocker Spaniels due to their conformation of their ears so the surgery is often required to provide any pain relief when the ears are that severe. So as far as if the surgery will help her, if she is in pain, it will help remove the source of pain. But it is a very invasive surgery which involves removing part of the ear which will leave her completely deaf. Risks include possible nerve damage and bleeding. So it is important that the surgery is performed by someone who is very experienced. Unfortunately it is a very expensive surgery because of the expertise required for it. There are organizations that may be able to help with the surgery after you get an estimate from a surgeon. Here are a list of some organizations that your sister can try contact for financial assistance. Assistance Dog Partners

American Animal Hospital Association
www.aahahelpingpets.org

Angels 4 Animals
www.angels4animals.org

Brown Dog Foundation
www.browndogfoundation.org

Shakespeare Animal Fund
www.shakespeareanimalfund.org

Hopefully this helps