Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My choc. lab will only walk in a certain direction one day

Customer Question

My choc. lab will only walk in a certain direction one day and the next day will refuse to walk in that same direction. She just simply will not move. There do not appear to be any distractions, noises or threats. We end up walking around the same blocks due to the need to always turn right. Some times we are walking and she just stops and refuses to go forward at all. Help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

HI there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

How long has she been doing this?

Do you walk her with a traditional leash and collar?

Is she food motivated?

Does she only insist on these one-way turns on walks, or does she do it in the yard too?

What do you do when she does this?

How much exercise is she getting daily?