Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog had vomited early this morning a couple times, which

Customer Question
she does every once in...
My dog had vomited early this morning a couple times, which she does every once in a while with no other changes to her or her appetite, so i didn't think anything of it. This was after she ate, and she likes to eat fast.
My girlfriend came home before me and said she had vomited in nearly every room, the bathroom, closet, bedroom, living room, etc. When I got home my dog was in good spirits, and seemed to be her normal self, just a little tired and timid. I haven't fed her any dinner yet, but I did put some fresh water down and she drank for about 10 seconds. She hasn't thrown anything up since.
Usually she stares at me while i'm eating my dinner and circling arund me to see if I drop anything (i dont feed her human food intentionally). But right now shes laying in her bed that i put on the couch next to me and shes turned away from me sleeping. This is unusual. I hope its just an upset stomach.
She's 11 years old, has no teeth (they had to be extracted when I rescued her 4 years ago), had a checkup less than a year ago and was said to be in good health. I feed her a natural raw died from Darwins which is a rotation of turkey, chicken, beef, bison, and venison jerkey treats. http://www.darwinspet.com/
I do pay for trupanion pet insurance and they are in the process of getting her med history right now to check for pre existing conditions, so I can take her to the hospital if needed as soon as they get back to me (hopefully).
Are there any other signs I can look for to ensure it's not something serious?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
11/17/2015
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 years ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hi Micah, I'm sorry to hear that your girl hasn't felt well today.

The biggest indicator that something is seriously wrong is if her vomiting persists. The fact that she vomited her food today may well have been because of her eating quickly or gulping air while she eats. This is not uncommon. If she doesn't go back to her normal eating schedule tomorrow, I would contact your vet's office. You should be able to take her in for an exam even if Trupanion hasn't reached out to you regarding her case. If you've already paid for the service, her visit may well be covered if she hasn't dealt with vomiting in the past. Other concerning signs to watch out for would be diarrhea, seizures, non-responsive nature while she's sleeping, etc.

This evening, I'd leave the water down and allow her access as long as she doesn't drink large volumes at a time.

If she continues to eat her food quickly (if, in your opinion, it's too quickly), you can feed her raw diet chilled or partially frozen. I also feed raw and occasionally have the dog who insists on wolfing their food down. To prevent this, I will feed these individuals (who also have teeth, mind you) frozen raw or I will place their ground raw into a bowl, add water, freeze it and give them the bowl so that they have to wait for it to thaw some before they are able to eat it. It's helped greatly in those dogs who have vomited their meal after eating so quickly.

If my answer has helped you, please rate me. If you have other questions, just respond and I'll help you further.

she doesn't want to eat anything still, and seems very tired and lethargic. i havent tried to put food in front of her yet, but usually by now she'd be begging me for food. should i be more worried now?

I would definitely contact your vet's office tomorrow morning. The persistence of her symptoms are concerning. They may wish to run some labwork on her. With her age, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Checking in to see how your girl is feeling today, Micah.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse