Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My puppy just ate 10 chewy rolaids how harmful is this to m.

Customer Question
my puppy just ate 10...
my puppy just ate 10 chewy rolaids how harmful is this to him. he is 4 months old weighs about 15-20lb.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
11/16/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat these?

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you, so I do want to leave my thoughts for wee Bucky.

Now the good news is that there is nothing dog toxic in these Rolaids. In fact, Calcium carbonate and Magnesium hydroxide are two products we do use in treating upset stomachs in dogs. That said, Bucky has had quite a large dose and therefore there is some risk of adverse signs. The common ones we are likely to see are lethargy, stomach upset, diarrhea, drooling and appetite loss. Less commonly we a can see some dogs have weakness and slowing of the heart rate.

Therefore, we have a few options in this case. You can choose to just monitor him and plan to have him seen for symptomatic care if those more severe signs are seen. Otherwise, we can choose to err on the side of caution. If you choose to do that, it does depend on when he had these.

If he had them in the past 2 hours, we can induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, if it has been over 2 hours but less than 8 hours, we can use activated charcoal. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in his stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the risk here.

Overall, these are two ingredients we often use in dogs and tend to be well tolerated. Therefore, while we could see GI upset, the risk of severe is issue is small for Bucky. Therefore, depending on how long it has been, we can use the above or just keep an eye for the next 24 hours to make sure we don't have any issue here.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bucky. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian