Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had her spleen removed 4 days ago she has brought her

Customer Question

my dog had her spleen removed 4 days ago she has brought her dinner up today but in herself she is fine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now while her vomiting won't be directly related to her recent surgery, we do want to address this for her as quickly as possible. Therefore, as long as she is able to keep water down and is otherwise herself, we can try allaying her nausea with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption)and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that is on board and she is a bit more settled, I would also suggest a light diet for the next few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, we do see situations of this nature post-operatively for some of our more sensitive dogs. Therefore, we'd want to use the above supportive care just now. Though if we find that she doesn't settle, cannot keep water down, or starts to feel poorly; then we'd want to plan to follow up with her vet so that they can rule out any opportunistic infections and to have her treated with injectable anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics to get her stomach settled.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )