PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He won't eat and I think may be constipated. That has

Customer Question

He won't eat and I think may be constipated. That has happened before.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert, I'm sorry to hear that you boy isn't feeling so well tonight. I have a few questions for you.

1) Are you seeing any vomiting?

2) Diarrhea? Any stool production at all? Does he attempt to defecate and nothing comes out? Small amounts? Formed? Liquid?

3) Is he still drinking and holding water down?

4) What color is his urine?

5) Is he still active?

6) Has he chewed anything up recently that he shouldn't have had such as socks, had access to the trash can, etc?

I'll be able to best help you with this knowledge. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He threw up just a little bit yesterday. No diarrhea, he did defecate a little bit earlier today. I don't know for sure, but I think he's been drinking water. He's fairly active, but probably not as much as usual. I'm not aware of anything unusual he's eaten.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His abdomen seems tight and a little bloated.

I'm going to give you info on how to care for him at home assuming this is a general GI upset from being constipated. But he's going to need close observation of his water intake and food intake, as well as insurance that he's keeping it down. If he starts having vomiting or refuses to eat/drink, you're going to need to find a veterinary office that can see him. Because he's a small breed of dog he's at high risk of complications that come along with GI problems such as dehydration. It won't take very long for a little tyke like him to become critical and require hospitalization. If need be, place him in an area that you can see the floor well in such as a clean bathroom or a sizeable dog kennel. This will make it easier to be sure that he's not having issues in the house that you aren't seeing.

Start with small amounts of water for him. You can also use low sodium chicken broth (make it by boiling water and chicken breast). Some people like using pedialyte, but I've found most dogs won't willingly consume it. Every 2-4 hours, give him a few tablespoons of chicken or turkey baby food (make sure the ingredients contain no onion) mixed with canned pumpkin (check the ingredient panel to be sure you're getting pure pumpkin and not the pie filling). This will slowly help to hydrate his system making it easier for him to pass stool. The pumpkin is bulky in the intestines and will help to "sweep" the gut as it passes through. It may take over 24 hours for this to help. As long as he's drinking and eating well, keep going. You will not hurt anything by him eating this concoction. During this time, make sure to keep all "human" foods away from him or you may cause diarrhea. It's important to stick to foods that are gentle on his stomach.

Monitor his urination and bowel movements around the clock. We'd like to see him peeing at least 3 times a day and having a bowel movement at least once. Even if they're compact. Once the pumpkin is making it through, you'll see his stool begin to take on an orange shade. That's normal and expected.

If at any time he starts vomiting, having diarrhea, you see blood coming from either end or in the vomit/stool, you see that his abdomen has become painful, he refuses to eat/drink, begins coughing persistently, respond to stimulus or othewise seems uncomfortable then it's time to go see your vet and permit them to administer the medical care that he needs. Enemas are sometimes recommended in these cases but a lot of what we think is constipation is actually diarrhea or GI cramps and enemas can make things worse. Hold off on that route for now and go with small, frequent meals and liquid supplementation. Holler if there's anything else I can help you with. Hopefully he will feel back to himself in no time.

Just checking in to see if you have any further questions. I hope all is well.