Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I squirted too much dog cleaner in my dog's ear...a couple

Customer Question

I squirted too much dog cleaner in my dog's ear...a couple hours later her jaw started to chatter...when I took her out she started to eat grass....she came in and rested and ate.....her jaw is still chattering
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is only happening periodically...she is fine, eating and drinking
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I"m happy to help you with your question.

What kind of cleaner is it?

Has the jaw chattering stopped or slowed down now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cleaner is Malacetic....I di squirt a large amount into her ear. The chattering stopped as of last night....she slept well...cough twice during the night, when she got up to change positions...she just ate all her food and seems OK...she has legions on her roof top. She has Eosinophilic Stomatitis...from a food allergy. We are still not certain what she is allergic to. They do not seem to bother her but she has one toward the base of her tongue....maybe that got irritated by the ear meds. She was trying to eat grass when I took her out....that has stopped also. Her allergy is being monitored by the vet.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

The fact that it has resolved makes me confident that what likely happened was when you overfilled the ear, it triggered some of the nerves that run between the ears and the mouth (think about if you have a ear ache you often get a sore throat too and vice versa) causing that chattering.

Had it continued, then I'd be more worried about some kind of allergic reaction, but since it resolved I really think that we're just dealing with nothing to be worried about.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kathie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jamaica Rose. How is everything going?
Lisa