How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sally G. Your Own Question
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 9631
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Sally G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question re fertilizer. My condo building applied

Customer Question

I have a question re fertilizer. My condo building applied fertilizer to our lawn today and my 7 month old puppy (approx 10 lbs) ate some of while out for a walk. I have no idea what type of fertilizer it is, other than it's not pellets. It's been several hours since she fist came in contact with it, and there's no sign of symptoms, but I want to be ready, if any symptoms occur.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years and am trained in pet first aid for aiding animals in disasters. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Generally once fertilizer is put on the ground it has very little effect as far as a toxin. The problems come when a puppy/dog stick their head into a bag of fertilizer and eat it.

Of course it would be helpful to know what the condo used and if there were other chemicals in there. Your best bet might be to call the company that laid the fertilizer for the future to know what is in it. Because your dog is acting normally I would tend to think that there was not something toxic mixed in.

Here you can read about ingesting fertilizer with products like iron or oganophosphates in it and what symptoms you would see.

The EPA is pretty strict about what is put in fertilizers.

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-toxins-poisons/fertilizer-and-mulch-dangers-dogs

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Here is information on the different types of products and the chance of toxicity to dogs for future reference as a condo association may choose to use some of these products

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/toxins-poisons/lawn--garden-hazards-in-dogs