Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 4 year old French bulldog tip of s penis has been

Customer Question

My 4 year old French bulldog tip of his penis has been sticking out for a few days and won't go back in. He's been on a steroid medication for his allergies. Could this be why it's sticking out?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is a condition called Paraphimosis that is common and may require veterinary care. It is good to apply vasoline and atempt to replace the penis since it can be restricted to a point that it can block the blood supply and become an emergency situation. The steroids will nto cause this ...it is caused by sexual stimulation that cannot allow the blood to go back after this.This can be due to a stricture in the sheath or injury. Since you cannot keep this inside the sheath, it is time to take Syd to your vet for an exam to determine why this is happening and the best coure of action.

This LINK will explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I hope that helps....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr,
I put libricated jelly and massaged it back in. It went back in, just the tiny little tip is peaking out. Should he be ok now or should I still bring him to the vet ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please advise.

If it is clear that it is not getting pinched off, then keep doing what you are doing by placing vasoline on it and helping it back into the sheath...you may not have to take Syd to the vet if you are making progress which it does sound like you are...Good Job!!