How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ola Barrett Your Own Question
Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 271
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Ola Barrett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog was diagnosed with chronic rhinosis. It's almost as

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed with chronic rhinosis. It's almost as if he has had a really bad sinus infection.. Yellow mucus out of his nose and gags/chokes, often waking me up in the night. It's been like this for over a year. I have taken him to 4 different animal hospital and spent thousands of dollars in testing with no cure/answer. Have you ever heard of this or have suggestions for successful treatments? I'm at least trying to do what I can with his diet but I was wondering if you had recommendations for cures/diet/ect. Thank you so much. Trisha
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I am small animal veterinarian. First, I am so sorry that your dog Moose has went through all of this. It seems like all of the diagnostics that can be performed at a general veterinary office have been completed. At this point, I would request that your current DVM call you in a referral to a specialty practice (e.g. a veterinary teaching hospital or private specialty facility) and referring you to the internal medicine service.

What was the method for testing of the fluid last time? Only fluid obtained from a broncho-alveolar lavage (BAL) or a trans-tracheal wash (TTW) can be considered definitely diagnostic of disease? These methods of obtaining fluid for testing will yield the only definite diagnosis of bacteria or fungal disease (especially cryptomyces, blastomyces). Was the fluid cultured to ensure sensitivity to the oral antibiotic has was being treated with? This is also important. While x-rays of neck and throat are okay, you probably need better imaging.. this would include bronchoscopy (where Moose would be placed under anesthesia and a camera is inserted down his airway) to determine if a mass is present which may be "seeping" and serve as a source of infection. They can also take biopsy results when doing this to evaluate any abnormalities. Because these are speciality diagnostics prices will be high but maybe can yield you a better result in the end. I hope this is of help to you.

Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, I hope Moose is feeling better and my advice helped you? If so, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding. I have brought him to two animal hospitals and met with internal medicine. They all wanted to do the same testing he had already had done, which I refused because they had all his records already and then each one tried him on a different antibiotic that didn't work. He had a Trans tracheal wash and found a secondary bacterial infection but I was told that would happen because essentially this rhinosis has killed the membrane in his nasal passage and he has nothing left to ward off infection. I was told he would live like this forever. I have spent countless hours and an exuberant amount of money and I don't know what else to do but he can't keep living like this and neither can I. I also can't keep paying for testing and Getting no results or direction. The only things ruled out were cancer and fungal infection. I Wish someone could just help me and has some idea what is going on or what can help fix this situation.
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that does sound very frustrating. It is true that he will have increased susceptibility for infection due to his compromised membranes. Therefore, their may be more an one stain of bacteria that he is affected by at any point in time and this is the reason why each hospital is requesting a repeat of diagnostics no doubt. If the two hospitals you have been to are general veterinary hospital and there is not a board certified internal medicine specialist present, I recommend that you request a refer to such a facility.

However, if you have been the speciality route already and you have exhausted all conventional medical diagnostics, I would recommend that you find a holistic veterinarian in your area (especially one that is educated in traditional chinese veterinary herbal medicine) to help you treat him by strengthening his immune system and making him less prone to infection as well as to help ameliorate his clinical signs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help.. My last resort was going to be holistic, I just am so concerned about racking up more vet bills when I am still trying to pay off all these other ones. Thanks again
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

I understand;) I am actually a bit of intergrative doctor myself (conventional medicine as well as chinese herbs/acupuncture) so I know that great benefits can come from holistic care.. Good luck to you and little Moose:)

Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Moose. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Please take the time to rate my response to your question about Moose? Thank you:)

Related Dog Questions