Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

8 week old tiny maltese. coughed up roundworm sun eve after

Customer Question

8 week old tiny maltese. coughed up roundworm sun eve after not feeling well or eating uch all day. treated immediately. pooped out dead worms sev hours later. felt frisky and great yesterday. pooped and ate fine this morn but now bloated hard belly and crying
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Joey today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Sometimes the presence of the worms (even if they are gone now) can set off an inflammatory response in the gut and can lead to a gastroenteritis, which can lead to gas formation and bloating. On the other hand however. worms can also lead to other more serious intestinal problems that can be life threatening if left untreated. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to differentiate the two.

Is he passing gas? Any diarrhea?

Can you check his gums and see if they are nice and pink and if the color comes back quickly when you press on them?