Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My JRT ate a piece of cloth from s chew toy last night. Ate

Customer Question
My JRT ate a piece...
My JRT ate a piece of cloth from his chew toy last night. Ate his dinner. slept fine. pooped a few times this morning - no chew toy bits though - and now is not eating his lunch
he is usually a robust eater. I am worried.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/4/2015
Dog Specialist: petdrz., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Cosmo today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Can you tell me what the approximate dimensions of the cloth was?

How much does Cosmo weigh?

He is about 13 pounds and the bit I saw - and tried to grab out of his mouth but couldn't - was maybe one inch by one inch
of course he could have had more than one piece of the thing - that was just the bit that I got a quick glimpse of

Thank you for the prompt reply.

A piece of cloth that small should present no problems in passing and I wouldn't be too concerned if you didn't see it. Even though it is cloth, it is not impossible that it could be "digested" in the stomach by the stomach acids (I have seen them dissolve a chicken bone).

As long as he continues to eat and act normally, I would be to worried. If he starts to vomit or refuse food however in the next day or so, I would definitely have him evaluated by your veterinarian.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

well thanks it is the next day and he isn't eating all his food so I guess I should take him in.

It is possible he may have only have an upset stomach, but if there is the possibility he may have ingested additional pieces, it wouldn't hurt. They can take an xray, and while it won't show cloth, if there is an obstruction, that maybe visible on the xray.

Good luck and please keep me posted on how things progress.

petdrz.
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian