Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 4mon.old chihuahua has a red sore on upper lip.Does'nt

Customer Question

My 4mon.old chihuahua has a red sore on upper lip.Does'nt seem to be bothered by it but I'm worried.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is it like a pimple or more like a mole or wart?

What type of container do you feed him out of?

How long has it been there?

I was hoping to get a respnse back but also want you to have an answer. Often a place like this on the lip is due to an oral papilloma much like a wart. Dogs get them on their lips and chins normally but they can be found between the toes as well. It usually clears up on its own in a few weeks. You can read more about this here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_viral_papillomas.html

Sometimes a pup will just be alittle clumsy and get a scrape on the muzzle. If it is not a raised area like a wart, then you might try some neosporin or triple antibiotic on the area to help it heal if it is still an issue. Some dogs do develop an allergic reaction to plastic that also can cause sores like you saw. Let me know if this was helpful and if so take the time to rate. If you want to supply the additional information, perhaps I can supply a more informed answer for you.