Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My Lab has been eating grass and trying to puke few hours

Customer Question
My Lab has been eating...
My Lab has been eating grass and trying to puke for a few hours now. She hasn't tried to drink water and won't eat even a treat. she is whining a bit too which she never does.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
11/3/2015
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 2 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Has she only been sick today?

Is she spayed?

Does she get bones, rawhides or people food?

Does she ever eat non food items?

Is her belly hard to the touch or soft?

She has been sick only today since we got back from our morning walk in the park. I did not see her eat anything in the park but it's possible. It's an open space with bushes and trees to run through lot's of wild animals (rabbits, coyotes, owl, hawks and gophers)She does not get bones, rawhide or people foodI've seen her catch and swallow gophers whole. I've seen her eat or try to eat dead gophers or rabbits. I did not see any of that today.Her belly is soft and making all kinds of noise.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Dogs like a little variety and they know the value of adding some greens to their diets. They are actually omnivores which means they eat meat and vegetation..not to mention kibble from any available cat bowl, table scraps from the kitchen garbage can, and all sorts of other things at which humans turn up their noses.

Some dogs frequently eat grass and don't throw up afterwards. They may simply like the taste and feel the need to add some roughage to their regular meals. This pertains more to those dogs who actually chew and swallow the grass blades thoroughly. Grass can also act as a healthful aid for dogs with upset stomachs who need to purge their systems. In that case, you might notice that they seem to almost gobble the grass without really chewing the blades. The prickly little stalks irritate their stomach linings and cause them to vomit. That sounds like the case with your dog. If this occurs only occasionally, let nature take its course. But if he is vomiting daily and isn't eating well, please consult your regular vet. There may be an underlying medical reason behind this behavior.

Grass is fine for dogs when it is free of pesticides, lawn chemicals or other harmful substances. I recommend that you grow a container of grass for your dog to nibble on indoors or provide him with a patch of special greens in the backyard. You will be offering food that offers certain vitamins, minerals and fiber not found in the kibble in her food bowl. And don't forget to entice his taste buds by adding some cooked or raw veggies, such as green beans or carrots to his bowl from time to time too.

I hope his helps.

I ended up taking her to the vet. She had large gas bubbles but nothing blocking her. He gave her something to calm the gas down it seams to have worked. She finally had something to drink after 8 hours.

Good...I'm happy to hear that! Those dogs sure get themselves into trouble...it would be so much easier if they'd just learn to speak english.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech