Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I had the dog into the vet and she found a punctured

Customer Question

I had the dog into the vet and she found a punctured eardrum , a fever and a tender left kidney, ran blood tests , X-rays of the stomach , nothing. White cells normal, red cells slightly high. She is always clean around her anus ,but not lately, so we cut the fur around that area to see because she has been dragging her but on the gravel driveway now causing along patch of raw skin going up the tail bone and poop and swollen anal glands have her once again going out side to just sit in a pile of snow. I tried witch hazel, aloe Vera , Vaseline,and warm soapy water and it's getting worse
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. That's quite a litany of maladies...

How is the punctured eardrum being addressed? What was thought to be the cause of Sadie's fever? Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can review the test results and also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. Was a urinalysis performed as part of Sadie's testing to determine why her left kidney was tender upon palpation?

Scooting on the rear wnd is often thought to indicate anal sac gland impaction/infection. While that's certainly possible, most dogs scoot because their anus itches secondary to allergic skin disease such as atopy - allergies to environmental allergens such as polens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc. - and also food intolerance. If you're also seeing evidence that she's been licking and biting that area - the raw skin going up her tail bone - yes, you can have her vet check Sadie's anal sac glands and the vet is likely to administer a systemic steroid such as prednisone which should take away the itch of an allergic dermatitis. Instead of Preparation H and Neosporin, I would apply an over the counter hydrocortisone cream to those areas. Sadie's vet has more potent steroid-containing creams which will work better than the hydrocortisone, however.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.